Worst collectibles in games?

Tarvu

Jun 21, 2020
www.destructoid.com
People complain often about them, but I followed a guide at the time and don't remember having any problem.

I'll tell you what were problems though...
  • Orb Hunter and Free Runner in Crackdown, because there were so many Hidden orbs and Agility orbs that the last few could take a long time to find if you weren't sure which you were missing.
  • Tech Curator in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, again because there were so many tech orbs and some were very well concealed so finding the last ones was time consuming.
  • The bobble heads in the final DLC for Borderlands, Claptrap's New Robot Revolution, because drop rates were awful. Best way was to farm the final boss. I hated that game so much by the end.

May 10, 2020
ANY largely narrative based, linear adventure game that has missable collectables in awkward locations or off the main path. This can be an indie 2D platformer (like GRIS), or a major AAA game (like TLOU2), and even the AA middle of the road games like Senua's Sacrafice or A plague Tale. These are all titles with invisible one way progression walls, sections where you're led through areas by NPCs, or given only seconds to run through certain segments. Knowing that the game has hidden trinkets everywhere makes me wander around aimlessly while an exposition dump is supposed to be happening, or I'm running around a burning building hoping I don't miss a coin or something... or there are glowing orbs everywhere on platforms I can't reach and I waste my time trying to get them and then through my curiosity trigger a cutscene that pushes me on to the next level.

I hate this. Not because it isn't a nice goal on subsequent playthroughs or something, but because the moment I know they're in the game I'm playing, I can't focus on the narrative at hand and will subconsciously or consciously break the organic flow of the game just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Again. I hate this.

Shinkz

Wahoo~!
May 11, 2020
After just finishing Control, the seemingly endless paper files that feel like they're in literally every room on the entire map.

Reactions: PatBateman17

Retrofraction

May 20, 2020
Korok Seeds. I really like that they are in the game but sometimes there were too many Korok puzzles when I was just exploring.

Reactions: Voex

Startyde

Jun 8, 2020
The energy things in Infamous 1. They're shown only on your minimap which you cannot enlarge and sits as a tiny circle on the screen where everything just meshes together. I dont know what you were thinking Sucker Punch. Dont do this with Ghosts haha.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Roager

Rogue Ogre
May 11, 2020
Korok Seeds. I really like that they are in the game but sometimes there were too many Korok puzzles when I was just exploring.
My only problem with the Korok seeds was the repeated puzzles. Oh look it's that ring of rocks again. Oh look it's those three trees again. Oh look it's that rock in that tree again. Seeing them again in other places really emphasized the artificiality of it and sucked out the joy.

Reactions: Retrofraction

pulse

May 17, 2020
The Riddler trophies never really bothered me... at least they are something to do - puzzles, whatever, and are pretty much optional. Plus, gliding around was always fun in those games.

The flags and feathers from AC are the worst sort of padding. What's worse, if you miss one, you're probably screwed. Not like there's a map you can turn to.

Reactions: Boxman214

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I dunno. But I can tell you which one it ISN'T. The playboy centerfolds from Mafia 2. One of the only games where I felt compelled to find them all. Those were some lovely ladies.

Reactions: RiffRaff