Book Club

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
I thought I’d start a small book club, where we can talk about books we are currently reading, ask for recommendations and stuff like that.

I have currently been reading The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. I have tried to read this many times over the years and finally have been a decent dent into it, and I have to say it is way better than I ever thought it would be!

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Going to start Dune soon. At least the first novel by the time the movie is out. I'll probably get to all the original Frank Herbert novels. Heard very mixed things about the Brian Herbert continuations...

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
Going to start Dune soon. At least the first novel by the time the movie is out. I'll probably get to all the original Frank Herbert novels. Heard very mixed things about the Brian Herbert continuations...

I haven’t heard of that series! I hope it doesn’t disappoint

Yue

Jul 5, 2020

I just did some digging on the series, and it sounds really interesting. I may end up adding it to my reading list.

Aug 9, 2020
Oh, I found your book club! :D I've been meaning to read Lord of the Rings for a while as well. I'll get there someday!

I just finished this wonderful book called Shaken to the Core and fell in love with the author, Jae. One of the recommendations at the end of the book was Finding Ms Write, an anthology of women related to the literature world - bookworms, editors, beta readers, and so on... - who find love through this passion of theirs. The premise sounded too awesome for me to ignore, so now I'm reading it! <3

Finding Ms. Write(1).jpg

Attachments

• Finding Ms. Write(1).jpg
    Finding Ms. Write(1).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: AtomicBanana

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
Oh, I found your book club! :D I've been meaning to read Lord of the Rings for a while as well. I'll get there someday!

I just finished this wonderful book called Shaken to the Core and fell in love with the author, Jae. One of the recommendations at the end of the book was Finding Ms Write, an anthology of women related to the literature world - bookworms, editors, beta readers, and so on... - who find love through this passion of theirs. The premise sounded too awesome for me to ignore, so now I'm reading it! <3

View attachment 774

you’ll have to let me know how good the book is. Unfortunately I don’t have tons of time to read. I use to crank out multiple books a month. Now I’m lucky to read just one lol

• Sad
Reactions: Queen of Philosophy

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina

Dune was fantastic for me. Never read any of Brian Herbert’s stuff.

I normally stick to nonfiction, but I got a bunch of Warhammer audiobooks in a bundle. Currently, I’m on “Descent of Angels” and it’s meh. Shipwrecked colonists who in time revert to the dark ages and become Genocidal Arthurian knights running around killing anything they perceive as a threat.

Thinking about rereading Osamu Dazai’s All Too Human, Mishima’s Decay of the Angel, and Octave Mirbeau’s Torture Garden. There are some quotes I want to remember. 😂

I can recommend William Hjortsberg’s Fallen Angel if you want something exciting and brief.

Last edited:

Dango

May 11, 2020
Queen Anne's Revenge
twitter.com
Yeah, and on a more serious note, they're probably not for everyone. I enjoy them for how weird and unpredictable they are.

I am actually down for this book club thing either way, as long as I have easy access to the book we're supposed to read.

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
Yeah, and on a more serious note, they're probably not for everyone. I enjoy them for how weird and unpredictable they are.

I am actually down for this book club thing either way, as long as I have easy access to the book we're supposed to read.

I tried to read The Dark Tower series and I just couldn’t get into it. I tried really hard but it wasn’t for me 🤷‍♀️

I just hope people can share books they have been reading lately here, I wasn’t planning on reading the same books at the same time. Just wanted a place for me to share what I have been reading and get ideas from others about what to read next!

Aug 9, 2020
If we have a discussion specifically about the first three Dark Tower books, then that'd be very convenient for me.
I read the first Dark Tower a couple of months ago and... I cannot say it was the most enjoyable read I've had this year. I read a lot of people saying it gets better in the future, so I might still give the second chapter a go.

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
I read the first Dark Tower a couple of months ago and... I cannot say it was the most enjoyable read I've had this year. I read a lot of people saying it gets better in the future, so I might still give the second chapter a go.

I have a rule, that if I’m not enjoying a book by at least 5 chapters in then I move on to a new book.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I'm between novels at the moment. I think I'll be starting "The Terror" by Dan Simmons next. I've liked Simmon's other horror stuff a lot. "Summer of Night" was incredible in particular.

Reactions: Vesalius

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina

I couldn’t make it past the first one, but my brother in law was/is really into them. However, I really like King’s old short stories, and he can write some engaging characters. As for novels, it’s hit or mainly miss for me.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I couldn’t make it past the first one, but my brother in law was/is really into them. However, I really like King’s old short stories, and he can write some engaging characters. As for novels, it’s hit or mainly miss for me.
Thing about that series, the first book is quite different from the rest of them. I personally like it, but it's a very different book from everything else in the series.

Yue

Jul 5, 2020
I'm between novels at the moment. I think I'll be starting "The Terror" by Dan Simmons next. I've liked Simmon's other horror stuff a lot. "Summer of Night" was incredible in particular.

I have been getting into horror novels more and more as I have gotten older. The only thing, is I feel like I read them too fast because I can’t seem to put them down. 🤦‍♀️