Music Recommendations

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
As the resident filthy music slut I'm always on the lookout for something new to listen to or to be reminded to go back and listen to a great record.
I generally prefer heavier music and more proggy, experimental stuff, but am very open to any genre (except that pandering, twangy country music).

Reactions: MajorTomsCoffeeCup

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
The soundtracks of the original 3 Spyro games are heavily prog rock inspired, so give this a listen:

As far as proper prog rock goes, all I can think of is ASIA:

And Electric Light Orchestra:

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
The soundtracks of the original 3 Spyro games are heavily prog rock inspired, so give this a listen:

As far as proper prog rock goes, all I can think of is ASIA:

And Electric Light Orchestra:

Asia and ELO are terrific!!! Never played any Spyro games and now I'm really curious!

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
The drummer of The Police (Stewart Copeland) is the composer. Spyro is the only gaming stuff he ever did. Said he wanted to quite while on top. He even came back to make the title theme for Reignited.

So while I'm at it, listen to The Police a bit:

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
The drummer of The Police (Stewart Copeland) is the composer. Spyro is the only gaming stuff he ever did. Said he wanted to quite while on top. He even came back to make the title theme for Reignited.

So while I'm at it, listen to The Police a bit:

That's awesome!!! I don't care much for The Police mainly because Stings voice grates on me, but Stewart Copeland is an amazing drummer!
Next time I find the trilogy on sale gonna give it a buy!

Kerrik52

May 11, 2020
That's awesome!!! I don't care much for The Police mainly because Stings voice grates on me, but Stewart Copeland is an amazing drummer!
Next time I find the trilogy on sale gonna give it a buy!

Just make sure to get the PC version. The console versions are rough.

Also, fun fact, I always thought this ELO song sounded like a Spyro song:

I couldn't tell you which song, but Spyro probably influenced my appreciaten for prog rock.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Just make sure to get the PC version. The console versions are rough.

Also, fun fact, I always thought this ELO song sounded like a Spyro song:

I couldn't tell you which song, but Spyro probably influenced my appreciaten for prog rock.
I don't think my laptop can run the game well (Ryzen 3 w/ integrated graphics and 6gb usable RAM) so console is my only choice here :(

Xeo

May 10, 2020
I'm fucking stupid and am just learning this past week that Tommy Karevik from Kamelot had a previous prog metal band, and he still fronts it as well, called Seventh Wonder. And I love them now. Tommy has a fantastic voice, even if I do still vastly prefer Roy Khan, but what can you do. BUT, having seen Kamelot live with Tommy, I'll say this. He's a DAMNED good frontman. He was very engaging with the crowd, very energetic, friendly and just made that concert really stand out as something special to me.

So yeah, I'm slow, and you probably already know Seventh Wonder, but if you don't, I recommend them.

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I'm fucking stupid and am just learning this past week that Tommy Karevik from Kamelot had a previous prog metal band, and he still fronts it as well, called Seventh Wonder. And I love them now. Tommy has a fantastic voice, even if I do still vastly prefer Roy Khan, but what can you do. BUT, having seen Kamelot live with Tommy, I'll say this. He's a DAMNED good frontman. He was very engaging with the crowd, very energetic, friendly and just made that concert really stand out as something special to me.

So yeah, I'm slow, and you probably already know Seventh Wonder, but if you don't, I recommend them.
I've actually never heard that and I dig that song you posted. Cheesy as Kamelot but with a bit more punch!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Kardashev. It's like, shoegaze meets progressive deathcore. Their latest EP is probably their best. They do have other releases, but they've definitely matured their sound a heck of a lot here. Which is to say, it's heavier on the shoegaze. Their previous EP was also pretty shoegaze-y, but this is more so. I like shoegaze quite a bit, dammit!

This is really good!

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
If you want another band with a terrible name but great music, have some Show Me a Dinosaur.

With a name like that, it sounds like late 2000's scenecore. Nope. Post-black metal. Enjoy!

Ohhhh, this is nice :)