Sections you despise in games you like?

bong264

Miniature Enthusiast
May 10, 2020
Colorado
So what are the blightown/ water temple/ codex pages of your favorite games? Mine would be the speeder sections in jedi academy. Drove too damn fast and would crash into fucking everything. Runner up would be path of hades in god of war...shudders.

Reactions: Vesalius

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls.
How do we make Dark Souls harder? Turn off all the lights and bombard the player with giant murder skeletons. Blight Town ain't got nothing on Tomb of the Giants.

Reactions: taterchimp

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I like a lot of video games, so I'll just cherry pick some at random and think of the parts I like the least from those games:

Super Metroid: Maridia, but only because I got incredibly stuck there when I first completed the game many years ago. And fuck those parts where you have to grappling beam the floating fish things.

Silent Hill 2: The boat part. I will leave it at that.

Parasite Eve 2: The Neo Ark jungle area. It sucks despite it being a big intriguing reveal near the end of the game, and it sucks mainly because of the annoying puzzles.

Shout out to every fighting game with a character I just hate fighting against. Baiken in GGAC, Grownhan in DBFZ, Maxima and Yuri in KoF, and all the others I've forgotten.

How do we make Dark Souls harder? Turn off all the lights and bombard the player with giant murder skeletons. Blight Town ain't got nothing on Tomb of the Giants.

Tomb of the Giants is a nightmare. It's highly despiseable. As I think on it though, I'm not sure why I love Dark Souls so much because I despise so many parts of it. The Ghost Church in New Londo, the water-wheel elevator in Blight Town, the upper rafters of the big church in Anor Londo, and everything between Quelag and Bed of Chaos. Does Dark Souls suck? Nah. It's me that must be wrong.

Reactions: bong264

JuIc3

Jul 5, 2020
Kansas City
Ironically, I don’t mind Blighttown. The Valley of Defilement in Demons Souls is much more tedious.

Two sections I hate in Resident Evil 4? Waiting on the elevator in Salazar’s sewer and the Centipede bridge. Both are areas where you just have to run and dodge and I absolutely dread them every time.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Cactüs

Swamp Creature that Smells Nice
Jun 30, 2020
The Triforce gathering bit in LoZ Wind Waker. Really any fetchquest tacked on at the end of a game to make it longer; even though it's clear nothing else is going to happen in the story before the finale.

jtotal

Jun 9, 2020
Columbia, MO
The Triforce gathering bit in LoZ Wind Waker. Really any fetchquest tacked on at the end of a game to make it longer; even though it's clear nothing else is going to happen in the story before the finale.
I came to say the exact same thing, so I'll quote this person's post.

Reactions: Cactüs

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina
I’ve apparently blocked out that part from Jedi Academy 😂

I hated the underground area in HL: Opposing Force, maybe it was my CRT, but it was pitch black! Pitch black open room, with monsters, and I couldn’t figure out what to do! Took me many attempts over weeks (if not months).

The underwater level in TMNT, of course.

The asteroids game or whatever in Dead Space.

The QTE in Resi 4 on PC. Something was wrong with it and I ended up playing it for hours, doing irreparable harm to my controllers and keyboard trying to escape from that stupid statue.

The test your might games in MK10, reminded me of why they sold turbo button controllers on the Genesis. I actually had to get a spoon to do it!

Reactions: Cactüs and bong264

taterchimp

Jun 8, 2020
Iowa

Can't forget the RNG in the Catacombs where you might get a lantern early on and trivialize the whole section!

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Shrine of Amana is somehow more of a pain in the ass than expected every time I've played through Dark Souls II. So many miserable things in such a confined space.

Turbokill

May 12, 2020
Can't forget the RNG in the Catacombs where you might get a lantern early on and trivialize the whole section!

I actually quite like Tomb of the Giants, but it's definitely bullshit that you need to kill all of those dudes (one of which is genuinely tough to find) to get a guaranteed light. This inevitably makes it so that many players think you need to go through there blind, which is just insane. As much as I think the design of Dark Souls is brilliant. That is a definite blemish on the game design.

And that's from someone that actually loves Blighttown and appreciates the Anor Londo archers.

Vesalius

Village Idiot
May 10, 2020
North Carolina
Any time a non-driving game makes you drive somewhere. Never fun.
You just gave me a flashback to the scene in Wolfenstein: New Order where you have to ride that execution robot. Freaking impossible. At the time, my friend convinced me the only way to play video games was on the hardest difficulty (as that was the difficulty they were intended to be played, or some crap) and I ended up knocking the difficulty down to very easy, and I still got sniped almost immediately. So frustrating. Finally did it after what felt like forever, and just barely. Ughh.

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
I actually love DS1 as a whole (even Blighttown) an absolute ton, but Lost Izalith was probably one of the worst experiences I ever had in a game I loved. It looked and felt like something out of a Dark Souls clone Steam Greenlight game. I get that it was because they didn't have time to properly finish it and they did the best with the resources they has, but damn it was still an absolute unfinished slog.

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I actually love DS1 as a whole (even Blighttown) an absolute ton, but Lost Izalith was probably one of the worst experiences I ever had in a game I loved. It looked and felt like something out of a Dark Souls clone Steam Greenlight game. I get that it was because they didn't have time to properly finish it and they did the best with the resources they has, but damn it was still an absolute unfinished slog.

It is hell. Specifically for the ass-ends of dragons.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Leveling from 10-60 in World of Warcraft. I love leveling in WoW, but the old world leveling experience is often painful. It got better in Cataclysm for the most part, but it's still rough. Blizzard has put a lot of work into smoothing it out, but the questing still doesn't flow well. I'll admit, things are a bit better now that zones are blanketed across a level range and scale with you, but the questing is still janky as hell. Not only this but the quest objectives are tiresome and clunky. Very much still oldschool. Maybe I'm just spoiled by anything from Mists of Pandaria going forward, but yeah.

I love the game, and I love leveling, but that really starts for me going from 60-120. Especially now that you can choose what expansion/continent to go to at levels 60 and 80. (Outlands/Burning Crusade or Northrend/Wrath of the Lich King at 60. And Pandaria/Mists of Pandaria or the choice of Hyjal OR Vashj'ir/Cataclysm at 80.) The quest design and overall lore intwined within the dynamic questing improved GREATLY from Mists of Pandaria going forward.