What are you playing?

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I cheated my way through the rest of Subnautica.

The whole end game just gets so fucking tedious and time consuming. Not about to spend hours upon hours scooting around in opposite directions of the map to collect anything else.

Hopefully Below Zero fixes that

Fwuffles

Jun 24, 2020
Been working through Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning since September. I had a lot of fun with it on PS3 back in the day, and honestly it's still really fun. It is, admittedly, too long. It gets to be a bit of a slog about halfway through, towards the end of the first continent. It really picks up again after that though - and the last section of the game is fast-paced which feels really good from a story-telling perspective. Been working on the platinum throughout, so I've sunk a solid 80 hours into it and I haven't even gotten to the included DLC (which I didn't get the first time around). To be fair, about 10 hours of that has been spent idle in the menu while I take care of my newborn's dirty diapers, empty stomach, or some other cry for attention - get a life already, am I right?

Otherwise, been chipping away at Enter the Gungeon. Hadn't played it before until recently, and it's just as stellar as I'd heard. It feels really well-balanced and is just generally a joy to play. I still haven't beaten a run, but I'm getting close (I can feel it).

Reactions: RiffRaff
Jun 9, 2020
UK
Played and finished Beautiful Desolation, really enjoyed it. If you like isometric adventure games and sci-fi then I'd very much recommend it, the devs did a great job of putting together an interesting cast of characters and building a really rich world for you to explore.

Reactions: RiffRaff

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Treated myself to two new things the other day.

Noita and Landlord's Super

Noita is a bit more on the roguelike side than I'd expected. Not that it's bad, but I thought it'd be a bit kore forgiving and open in the sandbox experiment stuff

Landlord's Super is great so far. Minskworks knows how to turn tedious activities into shit I for some reason enjoy in a video game. I love House Flipper, but I love even more how Landlord's Super takes the construction angle even further, requiring you to purchase the actual supplies and physically move them around.

Right down to individual bricks and mixing the concrete.

(I stole a wheelbarrow full of bricks from the local pub)

You can also pee on things and smash your pint glass against the wall

Reactions: Batthink

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
And I've jumped back into Project Zomboid

I hadn't played the unstable branch in forever, but went ahead with the update when I realized just how far ahead it was compared to the stable build.

Holy shit, I'm in love all over again.

Cheated a bit in terms of starting perks, but without NPCs in the game it seems a fair compromise.

Fwuffles

Jun 24, 2020
It's been many years since I played through Devil May Cry, so jumping back down that rabbit hole has been a blast! It's harder than I remember, and mastering the timing for combat makes it really fun and engaging. Basically, falling in love all over again.

Started playing Seasons After Fall last week and it's decent. Different than I thought it would be. The visual artistry is really beautiful and draws you in; the mechanics (changing the seasons on a whim to solve simple puzzles) is pleasantly simple.
The story isn't doing much for me, but it seems like it will be a fairly short romp so I can't complain. Worth the 5ish bucks from a recent sale!

I also started Little Nightmares for the first time (after seeing a trailer for the upcoming sequel, I was sold). Only a chapter or so into it, and loving it so far!

FYI: Finally platinum'd KoA: Re-Reckoning after a whopping 94 hours! Definitely got my fill on it for a long while. That being said, I loved the expansions - they added some depth and a much-needed change of pace to the experience.

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Currently playing Soul Reaver 2 and enjoying it a lot. It's a huge improvement over the first, and feels like they were actually able to achieve what they were going for with this one without being held back by tech limitations. The world is way more interesting and atmospheric to be in, and the cutscenes allow characters to emote way more, which benefits the already great dialogue. It's still kind of clunky to control, and the gameplay is still quite basic, but it's a big improvement over the first, and does enough to be entertaining at least.

One thing I'm really liking about this is how it's kind of a new discovery for me. With a lot of old games, if they're really good they build up a reputation over the years, and become kind of a known quantity even if you don't play them. So they're not really a mystery, even if you're coming in for the first time yourself. But with Soul Reaver, it feels genuinely fresh. I have heard people talk about these games with high regard, but it's not that often, and there isn't really an extended conversation about them out there like with other games. So I'm able to play it without any expectations and feel like I'm discovering something new for the first time. It's a cool feeling I haven't had in a long time.

Reactions: Fwuffles

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020

- I needed to go to sleep before the 5 hour long update finished on day 1 (yeah, my internet sucks)

- create a character, do prologue

- ambient event thingy with a shootout between scavengers and cops, except the last one i needed to kill was underground and unreachable

- one of them also got ragdolled while alive and stuck under a couch lol

- naked in mirror, but Ken doll genitals bug

- npcs popping in and out of the background and stuttering around during conversations

- driving feels weird

- crash

- I don't want to play with you anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Cactüs

Fwuffles

Jun 24, 2020
My experience with Cyberpunk so far:

- I needed to go to sleep before the 5 hour long update finished on day 1 (yeah, my internet sucks)

- create a character, do prologue

- ambient event thingy with a shootout between scavengers and cops, except the last one i needed to kill was underground and unreachable

- one of them also got ragdolled while alive and stuck under a couch lol

- naked in mirror, but Ken doll genitals bug

- npcs popping in and out of the background and stuttering around during conversations

- driving feels weird

- crash

- I don't want to play with you anymore

Well damn. A real shame the game is SO buggy right out of the gate. What platform are you playing on?

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Well damn. A real shame the game is SO buggy right out of the gate. What platform are you playing on?
PS5

Yeah, it crashes like clockwork. A lot like my days playing New Vegas on Xbox 360.

On the bright side, the crashes mean stopping points so I actually got some chores done on my day off for once. 🙃

And I might not be playing on the best TV, but this is another game where they've got obnoxiously small text. Legit can't read a lot of shit without sitting 3 feet from the TV

Fwuffles

Jun 24, 2020
PS5

Yeah, it crashes like clockwork. A lot like my days playing New Vegas on Xbox 360.

On the bright side, the crashes mean stopping points so I actually got some chores done on my day off for once. 🙃

And I might not be playing on the best TV, but this is another game where they've got obnoxiously small text. Legit can't read a lot of shit without sitting 3 feet from the TV

That's even more disappointing! Sorry to hear it. Good job finishing some chores though... thanks CDPR?

You'd think a game like that would have accessibility options like increasing the font size.

Jun 9, 2020
UK
PS5

Jesus, that's horrendous. I've heard the console version is horribly broken compared to the PC version, which sounds like it has the odd bug but nothing really game-breaking. Terrible way to release a game at any rate.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
That's even more disappointing! Sorry to hear it. Good job finishing some chores though... thanks CDPR?

You'd think a game like that would have accessibility options like increasing the font size.
Okay, I did a quick search and I can apparently change the font size.

Unclear if that's just for subtitles tho. And I can actually read those no problem.

Seems like the most consistent trigger for a crash is an hour or two of playtime plus driving at high speeds followed by slamming on the brakes.

Flegma

Jan 2, 2021
Having finished my blog on a game, I can now start playing something else... not sure what, though. I think I'll get back to Arcade Archives titles.

Batthink

Jun 14, 2020
East Anglia, United Kingdom
Sometime, I have to get back to playing For The King. It's a three-person party RPG with the mechanics of a board game, but it is so much fun playing it in co-op with a friend. I've also been going through Spleunky-like game Caveblazers, and I've been checking out the games on Antstream, which has gone freemium at the moment.

Fwuffles

Jun 24, 2020
Flying through FFX again, still loving this game after all these years. Gonna fill out the sphere grid and beat every secret boss this time. FOR REAL (maybe).