Current reads

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
I'm currently tearing through the Chess Team Adventure series. Special forces shlock, mixed with otherworld horror. My exact jam. Currently the team is fighting a hydra with the help of Hercules. Author: Jeremy Robinson.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Rereading all 16 Cerebus graphic novels (currently on #9).

Also reading the 2nd Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki) light novel. I own all six novels currently available in English. The 7th releases in June, so I'm trying to make some progress in them before then.

Meursault

May 11, 2020
Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Girl. I saw it referenced in Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perceptions and it took me a while to track down but I got a nice 60 year old copy.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I'm nearing the end of Dr. Sleep. Very enjoyable. The past couple years I've been trying to read my way through all of Kings bibliography. Definitely a worthwhile venture. He's a hit way more than miss. And even his misses are entertaining (Tommyknockers had me literally laughing out loud).
Hopefully by the end of 2020 I'll have this undertaking done. Thinking of filling in the blanks of the Gaiman bibliography next.

Reactions: PatBateman17

Vadicta

Greenish ooze weeping like tears out a butt ulcer
May 10, 2020
Reading through William Schoell's The Dragon. Bunch of archeologists delve into a messa to find a lost race. Obviously, it don't go so well, and all their hired hands end up pregnant with monster worms which are then birthed out their mouths and assholes. One dude bites down on the worm as it's breaking out of his bloody mouth, and the moment is described as an act of "grotesque reverse fellatio," and I love that line very much. Beyond that, it's a bloody and fun soap opera.

I'm also working through Guy N. Smith's Crabs series about giant killer crabs rampaging across the globe. It's dumb and crude and a ton of fun.

Last edited:

✨ Matt ✨

Garbage Pail Kid
May 10, 2020
I'm also working through Guy N. Smith's Crabs series about giant killer crabs rampaging across the globe. It's dumb and crude and a ton of fun.
I absolutely lost it at "CRABS' MOON".

As for myself, I've been shifting between rereading the Strugatsky brothers' Roadside Picnic as well as Peter Hart's The Great War. Definitely recommend both!

Reactions: Vadicta

Anthony Marzano

Excel Sheet Strategy Game Enthusiast
Staff member
Robot
Apr 16, 2020
After years of trying to get back into fiction and failing, I'm trying my hand at non-fiction. Been really digging this when I make a point to read it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.05.21.png

I mean what more could I ask for?

Reactions: Sharukurusu

Charlton Heston

Is Actually Charlton Heston
May 10, 2020
Beverly Hills, California
I'm currently tearing through the Chess Team Adventure series. Special forces shlock, mixed with otherworld horror. My exact jam. Currently the team is fighting a hydra with the help of Hercules. Author: Jeremy Robinson.

Holy shit that's going on the Wishlist.

Currently on book 6 of The Dark Tower series. Also reading some John Locke off and on.

Heat

May 10, 2020
I been reading another Murakami book (he's all i read lately), and it was pretty enjoyable. Ill move on to his newest after i finish 1Q84 part 3.

0016752750.jpg

Reactions: RiffRaff

LaTerry

May 11, 2020
I recently bought the Ursula Le Guin "Books of Earthsea" Omnibus and I'm loving it so far. Fun fact, the book is so big that I strained my wrist the other day lifting it. Okay maybe not so fun, I hurt.

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020
I'm nearing the end of Dr. Sleep. Very enjoyable. The past couple years I've been trying to read my way through all of Kings bibliography. Definitely a worthwhile venture. He's a hit way more than miss. And even his misses are entertaining (Tommyknockers had me literally laughing out loud).
Hopefully by the end of 2020 I'll have this undertaking done. Thinking of filling in the blanks of the Gaiman bibliography next.
Dr. Sleep was solid and enjoyable - I can’t wait to watch both The Shining and this one. The Institute was ok for me, but I’ve heard The Outsider is stellar. I was going to get his new anthology but I read it ties to Outsider which ties to Mr. Mercedes trilogy...so I’ve got some pre-reading to do.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

Heat

May 10, 2020
Dr. Sleep was solid and enjoyable - I can’t wait to watch both The Shining and this one. The Institute was ok for me, but I’ve heard The Outsider is stellar. I was going to get his new anthology but I read it ties to Outsider which ties to Mr. Mercedes trilogy...so I’ve got some pre-reading to do.
Dr. Sleep is the new book from Stephen King right? sounds like a must then :D

Reactions: PatBateman17

PatBateman17

May 12, 2020
Working through the last few books of Henning Mankell’s Kurt Wallander series. I started reading them because there was a bookstore across from where I worked in Latvia and it had one wall dedicated to English language books, so I used to write down ones that interested me. The second Wallander book, The Dogs of Rīga, takes place right in the capital - so I built upon the series listing from there, read through a couple over the years and decided to finish it out this year. I’ve got three left and the author is dead - so a finite list. Lovely Northern European mysteries. I highly recommend this and Martin Cruz Smith’s Arkady Renko series.

Vadicta

Greenish ooze weeping like tears out a butt ulcer
May 10, 2020
Finished The Dragon. It was pretty amusing. Moving on to this. It's my first time with Michael McDowell, so hopefully I'll be into it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_212700485_LL~2.jpg
    IMG_20200512_212700485_LL~2.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 282