What are you playing?

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I've been playing tens of hours of Project Zomboid. I'm getting to the point where I can actually stay alive for more than a week, haha.
ayyyyy, Zomboid

been spending entire Saturdays playing since i have a PC capable of running it properly.

my potato laptop and desktop were fine with the old version, but once they started the switch to 3D models it wasn't so smooth

currently just messing around on a modded game where i have every single positive starting attribute so i can get used to everything

working on securing the prison as a base and it's going pretty well

Perro

May 10, 2020
Randomly started playing Borderlands 2 between Xenoblade and Animal Crossing. After having kind of a mediocre time with Rage 2 (played a couple hours, didn’t like it that much despite enjoying the first Rage quite a bit), I’m glad to be playing this instead.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
I’m playing the new Pokémon Sword and Shield DLC. It’s a fun time! I kind of like how much more complex the island layout is compared to the Wild Area in the base game.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Just played a bit of Intertial Drift: Sunset Prologue, which is a free demo of an indie arcade racer coming out soon. I found this to be pretty impressive and fun, and actually quite innovative for a genre that usually sees little of it. And it's innovative in a way that actually improves the core driving gameplay in a unique feeling way, rather than just bolting on some distracting gimmick as is often the case when racers decide to venture off in to new territory. The idea is that you have direct control over your drift with the right stick, so you can initiate it basically whenever you want, with fine control over the precise angle, and keep it going exactly as long as you want.

But it's not totally without restrictions. Your normal turning ability is somewhat limited, and your drift angle dictates basically how far you can turn in the same direction, but drifting will also limit your acceleration too. So the game encourages a slightly new way to approach an arcade racer, but basically using a drift to set yourself up for a corner, making sure you're at the right angle and position in the exit, so you can flick out of the drift as soon as possible to speed away. It's really interesting as it gets you thinking about when you need to start a drift, sometimes needing to set one up more than one corner before the one you're preparing for. It can require a lot of precision, and is actually rather hard. The demo consists of only two short time trials, and it was a challenge to get a gold medal on both. Took a handful of tries at each. While I like the idea that this is a new way of driving to wrap my head around, but it does make me wonder how difficult the full game is. If this is the introductory baseline, how harsh will the full game end up getting? Might be a bit too much for its own good.

Aesthetically it's pretty cool as well. It's got a cartoonish retro-futurist neon look to it. Although there is one thing about the look I'm not too keen on. While the car designs are pretty good, they are a bit too tall and narrow for my liking. Oh, and this demo isn't a part of the Steam summer festival, so it's available any time.

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
Alternating between Forza Horizon 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for my major time sink titles with smaller games like Panzer Dragoon: Remake, Sonic Mania, Freedom Planet to keep things from getting too boring. Putting some time into Project CARS 2 in preparation for Project CARS 3 coming this summer since Codemasters killed my optimism for Project CARS 3.

Last edited:

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
I had a rough week and treated myself to M&B Bannerlord

it's pretty cool so far. obviously needs work, but it's still in beta

needs autoblock back tho. i have the combat AI set to normal and some of the higher rank dudes are just annoying to fight

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Gaming update :)
I've overloaded myself yet again.... Playing TLoU2 and loving it to bits. Also playing Persona 4 on PC and loving that as well. It's my first time with the game and I find it absolutely charming! I really hope they bring over Persona 3 to PC or modern platforms (Switch...). Would love to play that one. And I bought Shadow Tactics last night because I've been hearing great things about it for a long time and it had a really deep discount. Played the first mission and damn is it a cool as fuck game! Hades got a huge update so I'll be playing that a bit too.
Finished Deadly Premonition Origins yesterday, and that..... that was a video game.... and not a good one... But despite all the jank and bad gameplay I really loved it. Hope part 2 can improve on the gameplay! I also finished 999 from the Zero Escape Trilogy with the best ending and damn yo! I really loved that ending. Gonna dig into Zero's Last Reward soon enough.
Clubhouse Games is still dominating my Switch time before bed. I'm really enjoying playing Hanafuda, Go, and Chess against randoms though I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish there was a way to invite these randoms to future games. I've had some excellent chess matches against a few people and would love to challenge them again.

Spaceloaf

Jun 22, 2020
I got Hades off the Steam sale and the general design is pretty good. There are some puzzling elements though.

I beat the end boss on only my 10th run through the game. It wasn't that I had mastered the game, not even close. In fact I doubt I've even seen half of what the game has to offer, and it's not even out of Early Access. But in it's current state the game feels way too front-loaded with mechanics and abilities. Its sort of like Binding of Issac, but there's nothing past Mom. So I reached the "end" and I haven't even seen all the enemy types yet, which feels like a pacing issue. I'm sure some of this will be fixed in the final release, but this is the state of Early Access.

As for how I achieved victory, I feel that the enemy encounters are a bit too frenetic. They start throwing too many enemies at a time, so it sort of naturally pushes the player towards an AOE/ranged build where you can just take out a bunch of enemies from a distance. It turns out this is hyper effective; by midway through my run I was beating every room by just casting poison clouds everywhere and mindlessly throwing my shield while dashing. I made it through two complete levels including bosses without needing to change strategy at all.

It's not to say that the gameplay is bad, on the contrary it's tight enough that they could pull off some Hyper Light Drifter-style combat. But the current amount of mobs kind of dis-incentivizes they player from playing the tight game because it is so much easier to just spam AOE and dodge. I would have preferred to see less enemies which are stronger to push the balance back towards thoughtful engagement.

In summary, so far I'm finding it to be rich with content and mechanics, but the actual game is much too short to experience it organically. You really need to grind to see everything the game has to offer.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
I started replaying NieR: Automata. If I’m reduced to a bawling mess at the end of this, I am sorry.

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
We're still slowly carving through Borderlands 2 on Switch.

It's been so long, and I never played a lot of the post-launch stuff originally, so we're kind of just blindly picking out random post-campaign missions right now. We got through Son of Crawmerax on our second try (thanks, Deathtrap!) and only just hit level 35, so there's a long way to go still.

Reactions: Nekro

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
We're still slowly carving through Borderlands 2 on Switch.

It's been so long, and I never played a lot of the post-launch stuff originally, so we're kind of just blindly picking out random post-campaign missions right now. We got through Son of Crawmerax on our second try (thanks, Deathtrap!) and only just hit level 35, so there's a long way to go still.
How is the Switch port? I’m kinda curious once it drops a little in price.

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
How is the Switch port? I’m kinda curious once it drops a little in price.
It gets the job done well enough in split-screen. There can be slowdown in rare situations with tons of enemies and every time someone hits the buy button on the vending machines, but otherwise, no real complaints.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
It gets the job done well enough in split-screen. There can be slowdown in rare situations with tons of enemies and every time someone hits the buy button on the vending machines, but otherwise, no real complaints.
That doesn't sound too bad! Especially since I suffered through the Vita version, haha.

God, that was painful.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
I told myself I'd hold off on TLOU2 because I need to save up some money.

So instead I ended up spending an equivalent amount on a bunch of Steam games.

Then twice as much on additional storage/backup space. 🙃

Anyway, Legend of Bum-Bo is neat. Playing Afterbirth+ again, too.

Fallout 4 with some mods so i maybe enjoy it a bit more than I did on PS4. I saw a lot of people hyping up the Synth alternate start mod, but found it kind of disappointing so far.

All it does is let you pick a starting background that includes appropriate gear, but then it teleported me in the middle of Jamaica Plain at level one.

I died about 10 times trying to make my way back to the vanilla starting area.

Then it crashed :(

Reactions: Retrofraction

Flubious

Jun 30, 2020
Dragon Quest 11 on the Switch a lot. I started Ashen for PC last night and am diggin it so far. I’m also always in the middle of a Souls game play through. Right now its 3, at Yhorm, dex build.