What are you playing?

May 10, 2020
I've been playing Persona 5 Royal. Just got to the part where Futaba beings to be teased. Maruki and Sumire are feel like natural fits with the original cast so far. That being said, it hasn't quite done enough to justify a full price to be honest (got it for 15 canadian due to a gift card from birthday). Dungeons are still relatively the same as are the SLs so lots of 'deja vu'. I know new girl has a Marie-esque sideplot from the trailers, haven't seen it yet though. So before you say I'm wrong just remember I haven't seen EVERYTHING.

I also bought a arcade stick recently, the Hori RAP4. Working on getting adjusted to it. Deciding to start with Gundam Versus since it's simpler (no motions outside of double direction tap for boost step) and I know it better. It... honestly makes a difference for that game. A big part of the gameflow for some characters is you have charge moves which are just hold down either melee or shoot until a meter fills. Being able to just rest a finger a little heavier to do that instead of a claw grip on a controller is so much nicer. Just gotta get used to movement with the stick and I'll probably be past where I was with a controller soon.
“Dungeons are still relatively the same as are the SLs so lots of 'deja vu'.”
I don’t know why you’d expect them to be different. There is only really one social link that is different, in regards to dungeons, you can get through them much faster now with the grappling book where you can skip certain parts. That's generally what’s different about them apart from the boss fights which have changed, some have gotten s bit harder

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
I've been playing Persona 5 Royal. Just got to the part where Futaba beings to be teased. Maruki and Sumire are feel like natural fits with the original cast so far. That being said, it hasn't quite done enough to justify a full price to be honest (got it for 15 canadian due to a gift card from birthday). Dungeons are still relatively the same as are the SLs so lots of 'deja vu'. I know new girl has a Marie-esque sideplot from the trailers, haven't seen it yet though. So before you say I'm wrong just remember I haven't seen EVERYTHING.
Yeah, I loved Persona 5, but I'm not sure I can justify buying a second copy of the game for what sounds like (admittedly really good) DLC.

Oh, Atlus.

Torchman

Mecha Lord of Dtoid
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Yeah, I loved Persona 5, but I'm not sure I can justify buying a second copy of the game for what sounds like (admittedly really good) DLC.

Oh, Atlus.
I'm past Futaba now and yaaaaaa. Still not seeing the meat of Royal, Kasumi STILL hasn't had her awakening. The further I go, the more the decision of 'no compendium import' just comes off as a bad one.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
I'm past Futaba now and yaaaaaa. Still not seeing the meat of Royal, Kasumi STILL hasn't had her awakening. The further I go, the more the decision of 'no compendium import' just comes off as a bad one.
Yeah. I suspect I'll give Royal a miss. I've already got Persona 5 and I enjoy the shit out of it.

Now, if the whole thing got ported to Switch, that'd be a day one purchase. Having it be on a new, portable platform makes it easier for me to justify paying full price. Since the portability is suitably transformative to the experience.

LaserPirate

Frequently confused
May 10, 2020
Now, if the whole thing got ported to Switch, that'd be a day one purchase. Having it be on a new, portable platform makes it easier for me to justify paying full price. Since the portability is suitably transformative to the experience.
Oh have I used this to justify many a full price purchase. Seriously though, a good portable experience is worth the investment.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
Oh have I used this to justify many a full price purchase. Seriously though, a good portable experience is worth the investment.
Yeah, as have I. I personally just find it more comfortable to play a game on a portable. It's just that much more relaxed, as I can curl up in bed with a Switch or 3DS in-hand. And I can take the console anywhere, no worries! It's just so much more flexible.

So yup. Portability is without a doubt a transformative enough experience for me to justify a second purchase.

Reactions: LaserPirate

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I'm still playing Dragonball FighterZ. I'm just as sick as Gokus as the next guy, but Ultra Instinct is as fun as he is stupidly strong. I've had a lot of fun working on figuring him out and finding a team I can put him in. Despite that he's not supplanting anyone on my main team of Android 17, Beerus, and Jiren. I just can't bring myself to main a Saiyan, much less a Goku.

I've also recently dipped my toes back into Final Fantasy XIV. I finally finished the Shadowbringers story-line and have resumed leveling jobs and just dicking around.

Reactions: TheBlondeBass

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
Almost finished Super Mario 64! The unfortunate reality of this game is that its two least interesting levels are at the very end -- Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Cruise. In a very non-linear game, ending with two very linear levels that have you repeating the same actions over and over is a strange choice. Until then it was a lovely time, though.

Hakkurei

May 14, 2020
Just done with Steamworld Dig 1, moving onto Iconoclasts, mixed feelings all around on a lot of aspects beside Art/Visuals, those be damn good.

Nekro

Potential Magical Girl
Staff member
Robot
Feb 14, 2020
How is the Switch port? I've been entertaining the idea of picking it up when it goes on sale as a mindless fun type game.
I mean, while you can't mod it, it does hold a solid and consistent 30FPS. Even after dozens of hours of screwing around with the game.

It also looks solid, with a lot of the visual features of the remastered edition of the game.

Reactions: RiffRaff

Palvikinkku

Ambassador of Finland
May 11, 2020
Kankaanpää
A weird combination of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Dota 2 and Stellaris.

Tho I haven't continued Kingmaker in a while and I usually afk-drool on Stellaris.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
A weird combination of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Dota 2 and Stellaris.

Tho I haven't continued Kingmaker in a while and I usually afk-drool on Stellaris.
I started Kingmaker and played about 20 hours then fell off hard. I never really felt I was using it's systems properly or knew how to use them. Writing was pretty good tho'!

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Fuckery
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
A kind soul gifted my son and I, copies of Minecraft Dungeons from the south ($6.27 w/ hero pass), and damn if it isnt the Gauntlet reboot I've been wanting. Game is a lot of fun, and actually pretty hard too. Loot comes at a good rate, but not at normal arpg levels of too much. Highly recommend.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Recently got a desk for my PC so I can actually play keyboard and mouse games now.

Played some Receiver II and Overgrowth recently. Love Wolfire Games. I think they're one of my favorite PC developers.

Of course lots of sessions of Tapsonic Bold and DJMax Respect V. Bought the Clazziquai and Black Square DLC for Respect V yesterday too. I can't get enough of those rhythm games.

I also bought Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord yesterday, but sadly it's just a bit too janky for me to comfortably play, so I had to refund it. Hopefully within a year or so it's out of Early Access, stable, and a little lower in price. At that point I will gladly pick it up again. I still play Warband to this day, so at the very least it was super cool to see how much of an upgrade II is.

Reactions: Hakkurei

Heat

May 10, 2020
I been playing some Co-op Borderlands Pre Sequel (what a fucking stupid name) with my best friend, and it has been fun. But the level design is kinda... off and it feels like a Garry's mod of Borderlands 2 tbh. Still fun to shoot and loot though, especially with someone to insult via mic.

Reactions: Hakkurei