What are you playing?

Jinx

Jun 9, 2020
I was considering playing Skyrim again but the modding is just daunting to me anymore that I don't even want to deal with it lol

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Rogue Legacy 2! Will have more to say in an Early Access review this week, but it looks fantastic and feels really nice. It's going to be great when it's done.

I appreciate how distinct swords/bows/axes/magic feel from one another. There's only one "complete"-feeling biome, but you can check out a preview of the third biome too. I also dig how there are gold-earning benefits associated with traits, so sometimes it's worth soldiering on even if you know the run is destined for failure.

Reactions: Seymour Demonica

Cygnus Rush 961

Apex Hitter and Tire Eater
Jun 9, 2020
Tacoma, WA
After building my new PC I decided to take to the skies with Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown to test things out. I've got the controls set to expert mode(not Polygon mode) and the game difficulty set to easy to get this nugget used to flying in a proper Ace Combat title (Ace Combat: Assault Horizon doesn't count), so far I am impressed with how everything works. I'm sure as I get later into the game I'll end up getting my ass handed to me but it will be worth scratching that itch.

Seymour Demonica

Badonkadonk Monk
Jun 9, 2020
www.youtube.com
Rogue Legacy 2! Will have more to say in an Early Access review this week, but it looks fantastic and feels really nice. It's going to be great when it's done.

I appreciate how distinct swords/bows/axes/magic feel from one another. There's only one "complete"-feeling biome, but you can check out a preview of the third biome too. I also dig how there are gold-earning benefits associated with traits, so sometimes it's worth soldiering on even if you know the run is destined for failure.

The original Rogue Legacy's controls felt a tad too "floaty" to me. Do these controls feel roughly the same? That, alone, would be one of maybe two deciding factors.

DtoidJordan

Administrator
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
The original Rogue Legacy's controls felt a tad too "floaty" to me. Do these controls feel roughly the same? That, alone, would be one of maybe two deciding factors.
They feel tight to me, but it's been a while since I've played RL1.

The only issue is a lack of content - I finished the only boss and bought all of the current unlocks (there aren't that many) in like five hours, so now I'm just waiting for the next update.

Reactions: Seymour Demonica

modern_moron

Gold Standard in Stupidity
Jun 11, 2020
I was considering playing Skyrim again but the modding is just daunting to me anymore that I don't even want to deal with it lol
Last time I attempted to extensively mod a Bethesda game, it was Morrowind and, after screwing up the install process the first time around and re-downloading everything all over again, I got a few good hours in.

Then I found a missing texture on a building and spent as much time as I'd played trying to fix it.

Then it crashed to desktop for no apparent reason and I hadn't saved in about an hour, soooooo I haven't been back. (Pretty sure all the files are gone anyway after the first time Windows Update bricked my laptop)

ANYWAY, I dove back into P5 Royal and I'm in love all over again. So many cool little things that make the game so much better. Certain things are distracting since I already played the original.

And I'm playing Rimworld again. Still haven't gotten the Royal dlc since I'm not too keen on the price tag and it doesn't really add much that I want in the game anyway.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Got back to Dark Cloud after never really playing it back in the day on my PS2. (I just occasionally watched my dad because I sucked at video games)

Ice Queen is obnoxious and I do not miss the wonk of this era of games.

Reactions: Cactüs

Cactüs

Swamp Creature that Smells Nice
Jun 30, 2020
Been practicing my skills with the coolest green fighting game character not named Blanka in Vampire Saviour on my Saturn. I'm in between competitive fighters ATM because I decided to shelve smash after close to 1000 hours...Thinking of trying to learn VSAV and take it on over to Fightcade once I feel comfy enough to do so.

Cactüs

Swamp Creature that Smells Nice
Jun 30, 2020
Got back to Dark Cloud after never really playing it back in the day on my PS2. (I just occasionally watched my dad because I sucked at video games)

Ice Queen is obnoxious and I do not miss the wonk of this era of games.
Interesting to hear bad stuff about that game, I've never played it but people treat it like it's perfect. I have a lot of issues with early 3d game myself and pretty much stick to 2D for retro games.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Interesting to hear bad stuff about that game, I've never played it but people treat it like it's perfect. I have a lot of issues with early 3d game myself and pretty much stick to 2D for retro games.
I love it, but the combat has aged pretty poorly.

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Had another go at Arkane's Prey. First time round I bounced off it hard, but this time it clicked. Exploring the space station is a lot of fun, finding creative ways to navigate levels and such. And I kind of like how the "antagonist" isn't really... antagonistic. More distant and standoff-ish, but even kind of helpful on occasion. It's an interesting dynamic. It would be cool to see more games explore that.

I'm also replaying Hyper Light Drifter, and it's still great. Fantastic atmosphere, great world, amazing soundtrack, and super tight controls. Funny thing is since I love the soundtrack for this game so much, I spent a lot of time listening to it over the years after I originally played it. So much that it's actually kind of weird hearing it again in the original context.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Well I started Wasteland 3 after trading some stuff in for it. And it's pretty awesome so far. My starting characters are a male assault rifle focused leader type named Viper, and a female scout type who uses SMGs named Pegasus.

When I find the time I'll probably dig into The Surge 2 as well. And I'm still tinkering around with Mortal Shell a bit too.

Aside from that waiting for the release of Tony Hawk 1&2 Remaster. And I still play World of Warcraft, prepping for Shadowlands.

AllCutUp1136

Jul 4, 2020
Fall Guys, World of Warcraft: When it was Good, and I welcome back into my arms THPS (1+2). He's through his rebellious teen phase (HD/5), and is back to being a good boy.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020
Finally got a chance to play Risk of Rain 2 with my oldest friend the other day.

And found out the PS4 mic I bought apparently won't work with a PC.

We didn't play for long because I couldn't really communicate 😢

• Wow

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020

Had to start from scratch because Epic apparently doesn't do cloud saves and I never could figure out where the saves folder was on my laptop.

Nearing the endgame and I've kinda lost interest.

Keeping the Cyclops juiced up takes so much time and effort and the way upgrades and blueprints are found in this game makes it very unfun.

Like I already had to google where to find so many other basic things and now I really don't feel like going on a scavenger hunt to piece together the last few things I need to get to the last 2 areas.

So I'm either gonna just drop it and move on to Below Zero, or cheat just so I can see everything. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Voex

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Replayed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 recently. It's been a while since I last played it, so I was wondering if it would still stand up, but thankfully it does. Still got a real nice flow to the combat, and it's great aesthetically too. This time I went for a fresh file to progress though all the upgrades again. At first it feels a bit restrictive, as things take a while to open up in to feeling properly satisfying, but it was fun to have a reason to fully explore the world again looking for collectibles. Also took the chance to finally complete all the Kleidos combat challenges. It's the only thing I've never done in this game before. A bunch of them are extremely hard and kind of annoying, a good way harder than anything else in the game. A bunch of them are pretty cool though, like one where they bring back the boss from the prologue and put them in an encounter with normal enemies at the same time. But I got through them all, and so now I've finally got all the achievements. No more will I have those last few taunting me on my profile.

Also finally finished off Gujian 3, and bloody hell is that a tedious slog. It's got some amazing looking art design and environments, but it's the most poorly constructed story I've ever seen. It just drags on and on forever, where every event feels like a pointless distraction. Doesn't help that the dialogue is really poorly localised so it's really hard to parse any meaning from it. So much of it is pointless fluff that doesn't need to exist too.

But now with that finally off my plate after months of dragging on, I don't have anything new to play now. I've been replaying a lot of older games recently, but there's nothing that's particularly calling out to me right now.

modern_moron

Jun 11, 2020

I ended up biting the bullet and grabbed the last data box I needed for Cyclops upgrades and then made my way down into the Lost River through the less dangerous, but very narrow passage in the Grand Reef

And I forgot to prepare so I was missing just about every necessary resource. 🙃

Luckily I had a few lubricants for crafting, but once they're gone I'm screwed because I don't have any kelp seeds.

Had to make a little trip all the way up near another entrance to get acid mushroom seeds because I only brought one spare battery.

But I have a small base built and I'm currently trying to get my hands on some kyanite for the last few upgrades, but there's a god damn warper right at the entrance to the Inactive Lava Zone and he snuck up on me while drilling and scared the shit out of me.

Reactions: Fwuffles

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
Playing the fuck outta Spelunky 2. I suck balls at it, but can consistently get to Olmec at least. Unlocked Lise and am in love with her. Her animations are so cute.

Xeo

May 10, 2020
Playing the fuck outta Spelunky 2. I suck balls at it, but can consistently get to Olmec at least. Unlocked Lise and am in love with her. Her animations are so cute.
Looks so good! I loved the first one so much. Absolutely on my list once I've got some free money.

Reactions: PhilKenSebben