What are you playing?

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
I'm still playing Dragonball FighterZ. I'm just as sick as Gokus as the next guy, but Ultra Instinct is as fun as he is stupidly strong. I've had a lot of fun working on figuring him out and finding a team I can put him in. Despite that he's not supplanting anyone on my main team of Android 17, Beerus, and Jiren. I just can't bring myself to main a Saiyan, much less a Goku.

I've also recently dipped my toes back into Final Fantasy XIV. I finally finished the Shadowbringers story-line and have resumed leveling jobs and just dicking around.

Reactions: TheBlondeBass

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
Almost finished Super Mario 64! The unfortunate reality of this game is that its two least interesting levels are at the very end -- Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Cruise. In a very non-linear game, ending with two very linear levels that have you repeating the same actions over and over is a strange choice. Until then it was a lovely time, though.

Hakkurei

May 14, 2020
Just done with Steamworld Dig 1, moving onto Iconoclasts, mixed feelings all around on a lot of aspects beside Art/Visuals, those be damn good.

Palvikinkku

Ambassador of Finland
May 11, 2020
Kankaanpää
A weird combination of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Dota 2 and Stellaris.

Tho I haven't continued Kingmaker in a while and I usually afk-drool on Stellaris.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
A weird combination of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Dota 2 and Stellaris.

Tho I haven't continued Kingmaker in a while and I usually afk-drool on Stellaris.
I started Kingmaker and played about 20 hours then fell off hard. I never really felt I was using it's systems properly or knew how to use them. Writing was pretty good tho'!

PhilKenSebben

Lord of Loss
Staff member
Robot
Apr 15, 2020
Cali
A kind soul gifted my son and I, copies of Minecraft Dungeons from the south ($6.27 w/ hero pass), and damn if it isnt the Gauntlet reboot I've been wanting. Game is a lot of fun, and actually pretty hard too. Loot comes at a good rate, but not at normal arpg levels of too much. Highly recommend.

D-Volt

Haruspex/Menkhu
May 10, 2020
Recently got a desk for my PC so I can actually play keyboard and mouse games now.

Played some Receiver II and Overgrowth recently. Love Wolfire Games. I think they're one of my favorite PC developers.

Of course lots of sessions of Tapsonic Bold and DJMax Respect V. Bought the Clazziquai and Black Square DLC for Respect V yesterday too. I can't get enough of those rhythm games.

I also bought Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord yesterday, but sadly it's just a bit too janky for me to comfortably play, so I had to refund it. Hopefully within a year or so it's out of Early Access, stable, and a little lower in price. At that point I will gladly pick it up again. I still play Warband to this day, so at the very least it was super cool to see how much of an upgrade II is.

Reactions: Hakkurei

Heat

May 10, 2020
I been playing some Co-op Borderlands Pre Sequel (what a fucking stupid name) with my best friend, and it has been fun. But the level design is kinda... off and it feels like a Garry's mod of Borderlands 2 tbh. Still fun to shoot and loot though, especially with someone to insult via mic.

Reactions: Hakkurei

Xeo

May 10, 2020
This game where my anxiety skyrockets and I feel like I'm dying. And then I wake up and realize it's one of those days. A "PTSD Day". Nothing feels right, I'm in a terrible mood that nothing can seemingly turn around. I'm cranky, feel like shit, feel on the verge of mental collapse and just want to cry all day long.

But also Maneater and World of Warcraft happened today.

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
I played the demo for Cris Tales that is on GOG right now. I wasn't a fan of it, but I can see it being really appealing to some people. It's an indie turn-based RPG with a very fairy tale/storybook aesthetic to it, and a time travel conceit to it. The art is very nice, with a sort of pop-up book look to it, and I can see some potential in the time control mechanics, where you move between the past, present, and future to alter things to solve problems, or for certain effects in combat too. I didn't like that combat however. Going in, I didn't know this game was JRPG-like, despite having vaguely recognised seeing the game somewhere before. I don't tend to like these systems, and this was no exception. It has some timing mechanics where if you press a button at the right time while attacking/defending you can add an extra hit or deflect attacks. But the window for defending didn't feel right. There was also a moment when they were explaining how the time control mechanics work in battle during a boss fight, where you have to use a water spell in the present to rust their shield in the future. I worked out what it wanted me to do before it explicitly told me, but it wouldn't work until it ran through the tutorial for it. Then after that point the battle dragged on for way more turns than it needed to, where you're doing nothing more than basic attacks and blocks. But despite all that, I can see this game being right up the alley for some people. The art really is nice, and it has a distinctive look to it, and those time mechanics have potential. So if you're in to this sort of RPG, and can deal with some potentially grating voice acting, it might be worth trying out.

Also started playing Yakuza 5 Remastered. I was unsure about starting this, as I sort of wanted to leave more time after beating 4 not too long ago, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's helpful that it feels like you start off at a way higher baseline when it comes to combat mechanics than you do in the previous games, and most of the later games too come to think of it. Movement feel quicker, and you have way more options than the small array of light and heavy attacks that make up 90% of what you do in the early combat hours of these games usually. Also I'm trying to take it easy when I play it for a session, quitting before I feel like I've pushed too far for the sake of getting through more of the game in a sitting.

And I also played Feather for a bit, thanks to RiffRaff yet again. This is more of an interactive toy/experience thing than anything else really. You control a bird and fly around a small island, where you can explore all the little points of interest dotted around, and can change your bird or the music that is playing by flying through some magic hoops. It also has Journey-esque drop-in multiplayer where other people can join you in your game randomly, but the only form of interaction you have it the ability to screech at them. I saw pretty much everything it had to offer in about 45 minutes, but it was a good time. Just flying around aimlessly, seeing what there was to see, taking in the atmosphere. It created a number of very pretty and even somewhat moving scenes. Coming in to contact with other players has a very organic feeling to it as well, like Journey did.

Reactions: RiffRaff

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
I'm still playing the ever-living fuck out of Hades. I have 2 more weapons to get the first win with and on a couple of them I'm up to 3 heat (Supergiant's typical, yet genius way of upping difficulty).

I was graciously gifted Gris and 2064: Read Only Memories by D-Volt and Scrustle but haven't dived too deep into them. I'm waiting for a day when my tinnitus is weaker so I can really take in the audio and music (been using my buzz free days recently to finish off my replay of TLoU, I'm at the final act of that now). From what I've played of Gris, holy fuckballs is that game beautiful!!!!

I'm also replaying for like the 5th time DKC: Tropical Freeze, but this time on Switch (great upgrade, that 60fps really was worth the double dip).

I also finished up my DMC series playthrough last week. Final thoughts: DMC 5 is the best because there's no puzzles and you always know where to head next. Puzzles and not knowing where to head next were my biggest issues with 1-4. The combat in all of them (except 2) was great and 5 just dials it up to 11. 100% action from start to finish; exactly what I want from an action game like that!
So, DMC5 >>>>>>>> DMC3>DMC4>DmC reboot (the Fox News boss fight was amazing)>DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC2 (I was warned it was bad, butt fuck was it bad. Good thing it being so bad led to DMC3 being so great)

Scrustle

May 11, 2020
Currently going through Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death again. It's a pretty fun game, but it's clearly not very polished. It's one of those games that makes up for its flaws through sheer enthusiasm though, so it's hard to hold its problems against it too hard. It's aping the (old) God of War gameplay style completely shamelessly, and it does an okay job at it. Attacks feel good and there's enough variety in moves to make you want to do at least a little bit more than just randomly button mash. But it's got its fair share of jank. Sometimes it can be pretty picky about registering inputs, and it has a habit of stun-locking you when you get in the wrong corner surrounded by enemies. Enemy design is pretty hit-and-miss too. But it does well enough to scratch that itch, and does an admirable job at it for how low budget this game clearly is in comparison to its inspiration. It has a very tongue-in-cheek tone to it as well that is hard not to appreciate, and a breakneck pace to it that ends up feeling comical with just how silly things get. There's very little downtime, like the game is squeezing the absolute maximum level of silly action scenes out of the short runtime. So it moves to fast that you rarely get any time to dwell on any flaws the game has.

• Love
Reactions: RiffRaff

TheBlondeBass

No longer virtual
Robot
May 10, 2020
Québec
Been playing some of that there Final Fantasy X... It aged surprisingly well, all things considered! I'm having a grand old time. Hopefully, Square Enix gives traditional turn-based gameplay a chance in the future -- while I loved FF7 Remake, there's room for both styles.

RiffRaff

Human Person, Maybe
Robot
May 11, 2020
Italy
Been playing some of that there Final Fantasy X... It aged surprisingly well, all things considered! I'm having a grand old time. Hopefully, Square Enix gives traditional turn-based gameplay a chance in the future -- while I loved FF7 Remake, there's room for both styles.
I think FFX had the best combat system of them all. I like seeing the turn order and it helps me be more strategic on my battle plan.

As far as Squeenix doing traditional turn-based these days, there's Octopath and the Bravely series which is basically FF in all but name (can't wait for the new entry btw).

zatoseyes

May 11, 2020
Now that I'm done moving I'm looking to settle into some comfy familiar games. Dark Souls and King's Field 2 both keep popping into my brain cave at random times, and I'm really thinking about streaming some play-throughs of them. If I can find the gumption to stream on the regular.

I'm also still BallZ deep in Dragonball FighterZ. I want to take the time to play some ranked and find opponents that outclass the two friends I have who occasionally give me some competition and really see how good my 17/Beerus/Jiren team can be.

Hollow Knight has been keeping me company at night. Playing in handheld mode on the Switch isn't ideal for some of the trickier platforming or boss fights, but it's not bad either.